Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Pre-Weekend Post

Well it's only Wednesday night, but we'll be on the road yet again tomorrow. This weekend, we'll be doing a 3 day 2 night canoe trip of the Noosa Everglades. I'm really excited about it, with the slight exception that I have no idea how the two aspects of floating around on water, and sub-freezing temperatures will mix. Hopefully, they will not mix very much, but one still wonders. Since my last post, things have been fairly slow here in Brisbane. I arrived back early monday morning from the overnight bus from Hervey Bay. I spent half the morning in bed, and rolled into the office around 1pm. That night, I played my weekly frisbee game for the Chimmichungas (spelling?) over in Yeronga. It's about a 25 minute bike ride from here, but since the quality of my bicycle is hovering near zero, it felt like it was nearly twice that. But the ride is fairly scenic, taking me through St. Lucia, through campus and over a nice cable-stayed bridge


The other side of the river is a little less scenic, which takes me past a fairly creepy-by-night cemetery then an approximately another 2 miles until the Yeronga Football Club where we play ultimate. The game started around 8:15pm, and we played for about an hour and some. Our team was pretty dominate, and we won by at least 10. The games are great fun and everyone on the team is really friendly. I'll have some pictures for next time.

So on the way back, my bike got a flat tire, and it happened about 3 miles from Indooroopilly... great, so since I have so much money wrapped up in the investment, I thought it would be ok to ride the flat tire all the way back over the hills and through the woods back to the lodge. Obviously, if you know about flat tires, and trying to ride/drive on them,... it basically is the worst thing ever. But at the time, I was willing to make the sacrifice. So yesterday, I went to the local K-Mart (they do much better here than in the states) and picked up a new tube, and instead of heading to campus, I decided to do most of my work over at the State Library of Queensland on the river, fabulous place, really great facility, if you're ever in Brizzy, you should check it out. Then I took a quick lunch break and then finished up over at the Brisbane City Council Library before heading home.

Today was spent most in the office, and I won't pain you with the details of sitting and reading documents about brisbane transportation aside. However, I did mange to pull up a 1965 Wilbur Smith document that specifically recommends to the city of Brisbane to rid itself of all trams and trolleys in favor of Diesel buses and to commence building multi-level highways alongside the river front....lovely. Well Brisbane at least knew better for half of that plan.

Tomorrow, we'll be on our way to Noosa and leaving around 4:30pm. So I may not have a chance to write until Monday. So until then, hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments: