Sunday, July 1, 2007

Weekend 3: Surfers Paradise, Koalas and Kangaroos


limited to the same thing everyday... (e.g. 4 types of cereal, 3 of which cause sugar rushes within moments of consumption, various jams and spreads to be applied to a toasted piece of bread that has already been pre-soaked in one type of butter, peaches and mixed fruit that at one time came from a can, but from its presentation in a ceramic-nicely-patterened bowl makes it look much more appealing. So I typically (when I saw typically, I mean 7-days a week), sit down with my bowl of Nutrigrain cereal and boSo this weekend started on Saturday morning, where I rolled out of bed around 8:20 am in time to catch my normal breakfast (which iswl of peaches and prepare my body for the day. This particular Saturday, I was back on my way to Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast for a few more hours of Surfing... the funny thing is, for my 2 hours of surfing, it takes me at least 2.5 to get to the beach and then another 3 back. So I hopped on the typical bus to take me down to the train station. It actually got me to the station, so I missed my train, but no worries, there would be another in 30 mins, so in my downtown, I thought I would go search for a morning snack... I've developed this skill in finding grocery stores by backtracking the reusable green bags that I see in people's arms as they're walking around the city,... So by using this mechanism of food-hunting, I luckily found the Coles (grocery store), problem was, it took me 20 mins to get there, so I ended up having to run all the way back to the station (with backpack and sandals)... but luckily, my gym membership paid off, and I was able to run all the way back and make it in time for the train. So besides the fact that I was already starting my day behind, they were also doing track work... which means, we (Translink of Brisbane) will take the 300 people that were swiftly moving on the train, and try to gracefully and efficiently put you on 8 or so buses, and drive you from one station to the next... Well to say the least, it happens neither gracefully, efficiently, but most of all, it does not happen quickly. So I arrived at the surf shop approximately 3 hours after my journey began, but I was pumped and ready to do some surfing.

Surfing went great, I love getting out on the water and pretty much flopping around and standing up just a few times, but its worth it. I made my way home and had a relaxing evening with the other residents, grabbing a drink and watching the Tri-Nations Cup, Oz was playing NZ, and luckily for us, the aussies pulled out a victory.

So today we decided to go to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, where we saw... you guessed it. Koalas. These little guys are just flat out hiarlous. Yes they're soft and cute and all that, but they literally sleep ALL of the time. This little chap on the right for example. We were really impressed by how quickly he moved from one tree (not in picture) all the way across his little habitat, then got over to his new place... and then, fell back asleep (while holding on for safety of course), But I saw tons and tons of Koalas today. They're great, I did get a picture with one, but it's on my friend Yings camera. At this place, there were all types of anmials though, Koalas, Wallabys, Snakes, Kangaroos, birds, everything. It was really a good experience, not far too. We were able to bike there from our place. But heres a shot of me hanging out with the Kangeroos, they're pretty fantastic too. I think I like them the best. We both have in common enjoyment of jumping I guess?

No comments: