Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Last Day On Campus

So yesterday was rather amusing, since I finally got access to the data which I could have literally spent two months sorting through in order to find a good solution to my problem. So obviously, today I had my work cut out for me. I won't bore you with too many details other than that I spent a good chunk of the day at the Arch/Music Library hacking out house sales information about greater Brisbane. But during lunchtime, I did manage to get out and get a few photos of the UQ Campus here at St. Lucia. And of course, just like every other Queensland winter day, the weather was absolutely perfect.

So this is the great court... looks nice doesn't it? I guess this center part is the equivalent of the quad... even though for some reason, it lacks a quaddy feel. As a side note, I think I'm also picking up this aussie trend of addying -y to everything, because that's what they do.. they have footie(Aussie rules football), brekkie (breakfast), noonie (afternoon).... it's rather hilarious actually. Ok so back to the story, the great court is where you can find students tabeling and doing undergraddy type of stuff.


This next photos is the UQ Union, or the food court and things like that, it definately has this 70s era feel to it, but it's nice because its largely outside and there are quite a few things to choose from. However, not very many chains as we'd see on our campuses. I'm guessing that most of these places are run by campus.

I can't say that I've eaten here too much though, I usually try to save my money but going to the grocery store and spending $1.99 on some cambells soup (I've tried every kind at this point), but it's such a good deal, and much healthier than doing ramen, while only spending about a buck more... But luckily, tomorrow I'm going downtown to have a proper lunch, I think I'll be joining my friend Oli and we're going to hit up one of the English Pubs on the queens street mall, it's ridicilious how much I'm looking forward to it, I guess it reflects the quality of my lunches for the past two months.


So this next shot is just looking back from the UQ Union into the opening where the Great Court is located. Since the semester has started, I've really enjoyed being on campus, I don't know if I like it just because it's UQ or if I just miss being on a college campus and being an undergrad again. Regardless, I love hearing all of the accents. They have alot of BBQ fundraisers where they grill sausages on campus, but for whatever reason, they don't do hot dog buns here, so I've been having quite a few sauasages where you put it on a diagonal on a regular piece of sandwich bread....


This shot is overlooking the area of campus that rolls slowly down into the UQ Lakes, I've played frisbee down here a few times, but it's definately a nice place to relax and do a bit of people watching.











This last shot is just a bit further on down the road, but you can see the Lakes pretty clearly and those four big sticks over the horizon is the Eleanor Schonell Green Bridge, which was built only to be used by buses and bike/ped.... what a great idea huh? But that's pretty much it. I'll be spending my last few hours on campus tomorrow afternoon, and I will definitely miss it. It was nice being a visitor observing campus life as an outsider.

No comments: