Friday, August 3, 2007

Last Friday in Brisbane

So... the reality of the end of summer 2007 is nearing... Today was my last Friday night in Brisbane, a city that has slowly become my home for the past two months. As much as I'm looking forward to moving on to Sydney, New Zealand, and eventually back to Berkeley, I am going to really miss this place. It may not be a Melbourne or a Sydney, which are considered the international gateways of Australia, but I think that characteristic itself makes it unique. I spent five years of my life in Atlanta, GA, and even though Atlanta is no New York or San Francisco... it has a way of really growing on you. I feel that Brisbane and Atlanta have alot in common, they may not be the greatest of tourist cities, but they have that small town feel and have a big sense of community. In both places, if you know the right neighborhoods, the town has plenty to offer, and well, things are a good bit cheaper. Brisbane has been good to me, the weather has been in the upper 60s to lower 70s all winter, and it's rained only 3 days. Every other day has been pure sunshine and to me... that makes a huge difference.

So despite what people say about the Brizzy or Brisvegas, I think this is a fantastic place to be, and it has been an awesome place to spend a short time of my life. The bike rides along the river to the university, the river ferries that pass by the downtown, Queen Street Mall with its street performers and slight feel of a big city, and the small pockets of nightlife in West End and Brunswick Street. I'm really thankful for being here in the sun, warmth, and among the friendly people of Queensland.

Tomorrow, I'll be spending my last saturday hopefully at the beach down at the gold coast... going for one last surf. Then Sunday, I'll be joining in on the Bridge to Brisbane 12K run... I haven't really ran all summer, but oh well, sometimes you just gotta go for it. I figure the worst that can happen is that I'll have to walk... or pass out and fall into the river, but let's hope the former is the worst.

Anyway, I'm getting tired, so its time for bed. Will write back with more info tomorrow.

No comments: