Thursday, June 21, 2007

More Police Activity


So at the rate that I'm going, I'm going to thrown into Australian Jail by Sunday... So before getting to the good part of the story, I'll talk about yesterday and today (btw, that's not me in the photo, i just pulled it off of google). So yesterday and today, the days were fairly similar, and getting rather repetitive. I moved into my new location at the Indooroopilly Lodge (try spelling that on forms over and over again).. but no worries, the move went fine, then I headed over to campus around 3pm and just got a short day of work in, not really work, I don't have anything-access, so I really just collected my notes, went to the post-office, and called it a day. I did have an interview during the morning, and that went well, so at least I hit my quota of earning my keep for the day.

Today was rather similar, I should first note my room here at the lodge has no heat or a/c, which isn't so bad, except that queensland is having record-breaking cold temperatures (in the 50s at night, which isn't that bad)... but for whatever reason, my room feels like its at least 40, so I have my linens, but also my 20degree sleeping bag, which resided over my whole body last night. Had that "its too cold to get outta bed" symptom this morning, but finally made it out. Breakfast was quite simple, but plentiful. I could have as many corn flakes and pre-buttered pieces of toast that i wanted! I shouldnt' complain though, that's probably what I would eat anyway. After that, I had to run some errands at the local mall (which is about 35 m from where I live), and I did walk, for those who were about to call me out. Finally got my hair cut (this is the longest its been since... probably 3rd grade, seriously, went to the Kmart and bought a decent shirt to wear my interview tomorrow, and checked out the travel agent for some future travels.

So I took the bus downtown and did a nice walk around the riverfront and the Botanical gardens before my 12:00pm interview. Interview went well and lasted about 40mins, got some good information from the guy that was talking about 100 words a minute... (40,000 words thrown at me... maybe it stressed me out), which caused me to cross the street regardless if the little blinking pedistrian man was blinking or not.. (did you know that the ped. signs here are green and red? why are they "white" and red in the US?? I'll leave that discussion point open..) At any rate, I was crossing the street, thinking about those 40,000 words, when my attention was caught by a man in uniform wearing a badge, yes, i managed to have my second run-in with the law in three days. And this time, I got a ticket. $30 for disobeying a crossing signal.... great. At least he was nice about it. I didn't have a good excuse besides attempting to tell him what it's like to live in Berkeley, CA where pedistrians rule and if you even start your car, you have environmentalists trying to slash your tires... oh well, i didn't have time to fit that story in, or the one about i'm just a ignorant american, please don't give me a ticket... But I suppose there is more than one way to contribute to the Australian economy besides buying postcards (which I also did today). After that, the day was fairly boring and lawful. I went back to the UQ campus, and did some work before retiring and heading back to the lodge for some nice dinner. Then to the gym to let out some post-schoolday stress. Did you Know? Most shops, actually nearly 99% of stores close here at 5pm, EXCEPT! on Thursday, which for some reason is the holiday of non-work, because all of the stores stay open until 9pm on this night. No idea.
It's probably the same reason why aussies sell this map: http://www.mapsworldwide.com/itm_img/1865001104.jpg
in stores across the country (because it puts them on top)... good point to bring up though, why can't south be on top? We've socially-constructed this globe thing to always have North America and Europe sitting on top of the rest of the world (South America, Africa, SE Asia, Middle East)? Maybe if we just started producing South-side up maps, the global economic and social problems will equalize.... hmm, maybe just wishful thinking :-),

Goodnight

No comments: