Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Whoops...

So today was interesting... but unfortunately nothing that is too out of the ordinary from my travel experiences... so I get up at 6:15AM to prepare for my cab to head to the airport... everything works as plans, I get to the cab at 7:15AM, and make it to the airport within ~ 35 minutes... the only problem is, when I arrive, they don't have my name on the roster for the 8:25am flight, nor was it on any flight to Canberra for that day. So what happened? I misread my flight date for the 12th, when it actually was on the 13th... oops. You would think I would be better at this by now, This is not the first time I've screwed up a flight by showing up to the airport on the wrong day... but it's been a while, that makes it a little better doesn't it? Hmm.. maybe not. But, on the good side, now I have the added benefit of being able to spend another day in Melbourne, which was my wish from my last post.

So after pondering my possible options for approximately 20 minutes sitting on the baggage claim at the airport, I decided to head back for the Melbourne CBD to give my hand at a hostel for the night so I could avoid the pricey cab ride from Mick and Lloyds. I found a very inexpensive hostel near the Flinders St. Transit Station. After that, I gathered my necessities and then headed out for my typical "I really like to walk" days... it is probably for the best that I was by myself, because I really imagine that if anyone else was with me, they'd be really annoyed by how much I like to walk and explore around a city. I'm really glad that I was able to spend the day walking around Melbourne, because it is really an amazing city... It's difficult for me to compare cities, but it feels like a nice US city (maybe Boston or Chicago) only friendlier, safer, and cleaner... It really is fantastic, and in terms of public transit it is really impressive as well. I spent most of the afternoon wandering before eventually making it back to my hostel. I wanted to go on a run so I could see some of the areas near the water and some of the larger public parks, which were also beautiful. I'll try to put up some of the pictures soon. But as for now, I'm sitting at an internet bar (interesting huh?) It's a nice lounge atmosphere with wireless internet, kinda a weird combination, but it works... much better than those internet cafe/convience stores. But I'll probably head back to the hostel before too long to call it an early night... have to be up early... again.. to try to catch my flight on the right day this time.

No comments: